What is Meta Descriptions ?
- Meta descriptions are HTML attributes that provide concise explanations of the contents of web pages. Meta descriptions are commonly used on search engine result pages (SERPs) to display preview snippets for a given page.
Ideal Length for Meta Descriptions ?
- Meta descriptions can be any length, but search engines generally truncate snippets longer than 160 characters. It is best to keep meta descriptions between 150 and 160 characters.
Will Meta Descriptions will help in Search Ranking ?
- Mainly no
Why use Meta Descriptions ?
- Meta descriptions are commonly used on search engine result pages (SERPs) to display preview snippets for a given page.
- The meta description will also often appear when people share your articles across other websites and social channels.
- extremely important part of search marketing .
- will increase click through rate as Google and other search engines bold keywords in the description when they match search queries.
Where do I add the meta description?
- You can add a meta description in the <head> section of your site’s HTML. It should look something like this:
<head><meta name=”description” content=”Around 160 Character description.”></head>
Are they really useful ?
- A readable, descriptive, attractive , keyword based and relevant description can influence the decision of the searcher.
Can I duplicate meta Description ?
Why not to use duplicate meta Description ?
- Along with Title meta tag, the description meta tag should also be unique for individual pages.
- Google may penalise you for mass duplicating your meta descriptions.
Will schema markup help ?
- Yes by adding schema markups; We can make meta description more appealing.(Rating,Location,etc)
- A good meta description can bring all this data together. For example, the following meta description provides detailed information about a book.
<meta name="Description" content="Author: A.N. Author, Illustrator: P. Picture, Category: Books, Price: $17.99, Length: 784 pages">
Is it ok to use quotes in my meta description ?
Why not use quotes in my meta description ?
- Description may be cut off in the search engines which is not desired.
What if We need to use quotes in my meta description as per business need?
- We can use HTML Entity Names.("Meta Description ")
Tip at last :
- Programmatically generate descriptions for larger sites.